Raleigh is the capital of North Carolina and intended to be so even before being built. Still, the city has gained much recognition not only in North Carolina but throughout the United States: so many people are seeking the opportunity to visit Raleigh and to move to it too! Here are a few interesting facts about the city that well explain why:
- The city was named after the English explorer, Sir Walter Raleigh, and is commonly known as the “City of Oaks” due to the great number of oaks lining central streets of the city. Still, this is not the only title Raleigh has received: the great number of high-profile museums have earned it a title of the City for History Lovers, while an active nightlife made it be rated near the top of America’s Best Place for Singles, Cities that Rock.
- Raleigh is located in the center of the state and its geographical location is great for both beach and mountain lovers. Just imagine, a two-hour drive separates Raleigh from the miles of gorgeous beaches of the Atlantic ocean. Just a three-hour drive will be enough to get from the city to the mesmerizing Great Smoky Mountains. Another benefit of a geographical location is great weather all year long. Proper seasons allow to chill out in the pools during hot summers and occasionally play snowballs during mild winters.
- As we have already mentioned, Raleigh abounds with great museums, galleries, and studios. It is in Raleigh, that the first state art museum in the country – The North Carolina Museum of Art (NCMA), and the most loved by tourists North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences – is situated. While you might choose any time to visit all these attractions, the first Friday of every month might be the best time to do so. Thanks to the program initiated by the Downtown Raleigh Alliance, on this day, local art galleries, museums and exhibitions stay open late to showcase art and music and present a First Friday special. A perfect place for artists and art lovers to discuss latest trends and creations!
- Raleigh is renowned for quality education and good job opportunities. Namely, Raleigh is home to North Carolina State University offering some of the best programs in engineering, biology and agriculture, and a University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill giving great education in business, law, government, and public health. In 2016, Raleigh was #3 on Forbes Top Cities for Young Professionals.
- Amazingly, Raleigh combines distinguished safety – it has been voted the third on the list of the Safest Towns in America – and excellent hectic nightlife. Raleigh has five different entertainment districts and is known to be the capital of live music. Whether you prefer small live music venues or large concert halls – Raleigh has it all.
Our Pettyjohn’s Cleaning family are proud residents of the city. We are glad to know that our emergency restoration services add up to the comfort of living in Raleigh, as you are always convinced that your home can get back to its former state whatever the damage. Might that be the reason for the city’s 13th place on the list of the Best Places to Live in the US?